Are you someone who feels that losing weight with hypothyroidism is next to impossible? Well, it’s high time we shatter those beliefs. Thyroid weight loss can be frustrating but not impossible. You probably find that hard to believe, so let me say that again -- hypothyroidism weight gain does not have to be permanent.
Thyroid hormones play a crucial role in our body’s metabolism. It’s true that weight loss with hypothyroidism can be an uphill battle. But if you play your cards right, you will see your dream number on the weighing scale for sure. Let’s discuss why hypothyroidism weight loss is stubborn, the diet you must follow, and the best ways to lose weight with hypothyroidism.
Let’s delve in!
Why is thyroid weight loss stubborn?
If you are a thyroid patient, you already know how hard it is to lose weight. Some of you might already believe that thyroid weight gain is an inevitable part of your journey.
But why is it so difficult to learn how to [lose weight with hypothyroidism](https://www.jeevamhealth.com/blog/hypothyroidism-weight-loss-treatment? Well, the answer is in your TSH levels. Elevated TSH levels slow down your metabolism significantly. A slow metabolism makes it harder for your body to lose weight.
TSH levels can be elevated even before you show symptoms. So, if you notice any undesired weight gain-- thyroid weight gain to be precise-you must get yourself tested. There are a whole bunch of other symptoms to look out for. So, it would be best if you reach out to a thyroid doctor to guide you on how to lose weight with hypothyroidism.
With hypothyroidism, it’s common to feel tired and low on energy. Exercising when you are already tired doesn’t really sound like fun. You might also crave sweets, which can contribute to your thyroid weight gain. You might also have specific resistance problems such as Leptin resistance, insulin resistance, etc. Research shows that both of these can contribute to weight gain and make it harder for you to cut down weight.
Traditional treatment focuses on treating the symptoms by hormone replacement medications only. So, the best way to control hypothyroidism weight gain is to treat the disease as a whole and address the root cause of the problems.
How does diet help with thyroid weight gain?
You might have heard the phrase ‘you are what you eat.' It's true -- our diet contributes to our well-being and health. So, our diet must be inclusive of the nutrients our body needs. Else, it can lead to various deficiencies and health problems.
Similarly, several factors such as the leaky gut, inflammation, iodine deficiency, etc., can contribute to an underactive thyroid. Certain foods can trigger your sensitivities, while some can correct your deficiencies. So, you must be mindful of what you are putting in.
Because there are numerous thyroid diets for weight loss, learning how to lose weight with hypothyroidism can be overwhelming.
Your diet depends on many factors such as:
- food sensitivity
- your ability to absorb nutrients
- how your body metabolizes and stores carbohydrates.
Your diet must consist of high fibre intake, limited carbohydrates, and sugar. Doing all of this alone is not easy. It is best to consult an expert who can guide you at every step.
Besides, staying hydrated is one of the primary tactics one must employ as a hypothyroidism patient.
Nutrients to eat to combat hypothyroidism weight gain
- Iodine Iodine is an essential mineral needed to make thyroid hormones. So, including an optimal amount of iodine is necessary. Sea food such as codfish, tuna shrimp, etc and iodized salt are rich in iodine that must be included in your diet.
- Selenium Selenium is an antioxidant known to activate thyroid hormones so your body can use them better. Fish like tuna, brazil nuts, eggs, legumes, etc., are rich in antioxidants that may protect the thyroid gland from free radical damage.
- Protein-rich food Proteins flush out toxins from the body and are essential nutritients. Protein-rich food such as Tuna and Salmon and plant-based proteins such as lentils and peas help maintain your blood glucose levels and keep you healthy. If you suffer from hypothyroidism weight gain, proteins can help you keep your hunger at bay and prevent unnecessary munching.
- Gluten-free grains Gluten free grains such as buckwheat and brown rice can help regulate your hypothyroidism and weight loss. The bran coats are rich in fibre and assist you in detoxification.
Foods you must avoid in your thyroid weight loss diet-
- High glycemic index food Refined grains and highly processed food that are high in glycemic index. These foods can urge your body to produce more insulin and affect your metabolism contributing to thyroid weight gain.
- Refined Sugar Refined sugar affects your thyroid hormone secretion that contributes to hypothyroidism. It can also cause you to gain a few kilos and make your weight loss journey a struggle. So, toss it out of your meal plan for better results .
- High-calorie diet and alcohol A high-calorie diet and alcohol can trigger inflammation in your body that can cause your thyroid weight gain.
How to achieve weight loss with hypothyroidism?
If you are confused about where get started on how to lose weight with hypothyroidism, we are here to make it easier for you. Here is step- by step guide to lose weight with hypothyroidism-
- Start with Diagnosis A study by Jeevam health shows that 67% of the people experience hypothyroidism symptoms and weight gain even after the lab reports group them as ‘normal’. Moreover, 45% of them are diagnosed late. So, if you feel fatigued and notice undesired weight gain, get yourself tested for hypothyroidism. Prompt diagnosis means early treatment- and that can make your weight loss journey a little easy.
- Consider a holistic approach While traditional treatment focuses on treating the symptoms with synthetic thyroid hormones, functional medicine offers a broader perspective. Functional medicine focuses on treating the root cause of the disease and eventually reducing and controlling your weight.
- Exercise Hypothyroidism patients feel tired and achy all the time. But you must exercise and move your body to speed up your hypothyroidism weight loss process. Not only this, exercise can improve your mood too. Basic cardio, such as walking, is highly recommended if you are starting.
- Focus on controlling the condition Even though weight loss is a significant concern for you, you must not shift your focus from the disease-- they are interconnected, remember? The main part is treating and controlling your hypothyroidism, which will eventually work on your metabolism.
Weight gain with hypothyroidism is natural. Its control may seem tedious but it’s worth the effort. Proper emphasis must be given to your diet -- start with correcting your nutrition by following an anti-inflammatory diet. Exercise and hypothyroidism medication backed with a nutritious and healthy meal plan can help you shed some pounds. However, you must be patient as weight loss can take time. Need help with hypothyroidism and weight loss? Reach out to us.